Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Calf’s Liver with Rosemary

I thought I was about to receive an oracle when I first saw small silver stars blinking in front of my eyes and became dizzy at the age of 8. But my mother said, “It is one of the symptoms when you become anemic.” Indeed, I frequently became anemic. I was a weak child. So my mother often cooked chicken livers with a lot of vegetables. Livers are rich in iron and Vitamin A, which help my body demands. Also it is very tender and delicious food.
“Let’s have Sykoti!” said my husband the other day. Sykoti is a liver in Greek. He said he knew a store selling good beef liver stakes. I had never have beef livers except chickens. When I saw them in a supermarket, they looked a bit disgusting. But my husband said it is tender and juicier than chicken livers. Unfortunately the store had no longer carried the livers. But the butcher recommended frozen calf’s livers he carried. It was $4 for 4 slices. So we decided to try.
Thanks to the butcher, as my husband mentioned it is taster than beef livers’. I added chopped rosemary leaves, which compliments the taste of the livers. We ate two stakes each but we immediately become hungry after an hour or so. This is the sign of easily digestible food and less fat. Just be careful not to overcook. It will become tough.

Ingredients:
4 thin slice of calf’s liver
1/3 cup all-propose flour or as needed
Leaves from 4 fresh rosemary springs (oregano, sage or thyme are recommended, too)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon juice

Directions:
1. Dredge the calf’s liver slices in the flour and coat well.
2. Chop the rosemary leaves.
3. Heat oil in a fry pan. Place the calf’s liver slices and season salt and pepper. Sprinkle the rosemary leaves. Fly the calf’s liver slices both side for 5 to 6 minutes. Please make sure it is not overcooked because it will be tough.
4. Transfer to plates and sprinkle the lemon juice. Serve with fried onions!

No comments:

Post a Comment